Most people do not stop to think about the food they give their dogs. The colorful packs on the laden supermarket shelves are normally as far as people give a thought to dog food. You may be one of them, but now branching out and looking for something a little more healthy.
Believe me, the package may look tempting and with a smile veterinarians and dog breeders on the cover, you are not hard to convince. But stop for a moment and consider a wild dog's diet. Dogs are naturally pack animals and so they hunt in packs. They can bring down a large animal, as large as a cow, with their combined efforts.
Then they all gather around, with a lot of growling and snarling and consumes most of the carcasses, bones and all. Perhaps the only part left is a patch of the nail. Are you able to accept this idea, that's how dogs evolved. And the wild dogs still manage very well. This is the most healthy dog food. Nothing can beat it. However, you can also buy healthy dog food at https://getvetco.com/product-category/nutrition/.
Let's look at some of the differences between a wild dog's diet and commercial dog food, a diet most dogs exist on
A wild diet, healthy dog food, consisting of:
- Raw food
- Lots of raw bones
- Internal organs are consumed, but this is rare compared to the muscle meat
- Carbohydrates are limited to the contents of the stomach, so is small in the overall content
A typical commercial dog food consists of:
- Cooked food (lots of vitamins, enzymes, and other nutrients are destroyed by cooking)
- Poor meat (often very poor) quality (humans get a good thing)
- Carbohydrates, sugar, in particular, is a major part of the food
- Food enriched with a strong preservative (not allowed in human food for adverse effects on health) – despite what THE LABEL SAYS